Hello bookdragons!! Maybe you remember a little while ago, I told you about what I thought of Four Dead Queens by Astrid Scholte? Well, it turns out it is the Chapters Indigo Teen Staff Pick of the Month! So let’s talk a bit more about it, shall we?? Today, I’m gonna share with you 5 good reasons why you should try it 😉
Staff Pick of the Month?
If you are wondering what this is about, each month, across all the Chapters stores, over 200 employees select a title to be the Staff Pick of the Month, in the Teen section! I was lucky enough to receive a copy in order to share my honest opinion about it 🙂
March Teen Pick: Four Dead Queens by Astrid Scholte
“Seventeen-year-old Keralie Corrington may seem harmless, but she’s, in fact, one of Quadara’s most skilled thieves and a liar. Varin, on the other hand, is an honest, upstanding citizen of Quadara’s most enlightened region, Eonia. He runs afoul of Keralie when she steals a package from him, putting his life in danger. When Varin attempts to retrieve the package, he and Keralie both find themselves entangled in a conspiracy that leaves all four of Quadara’s queens dead.
With no other choices and on the run from Keralie’s former employer, the two decide to join forces, endeavoring to discover who has killed the queens and save their own lives in the process. When their reluctant partnership blooms into a tenuous romance, they must overcome their own dark secrets in hopes of a future together that seemed impossible just days before. But first, they have to stay alive and untangle the secrets behind the nation’s four dead queens.”
5 good reasons to pick it up
- Quadara and its four very different Queendoms: I was not expecting the diversity we meet in this book, namely the Queendom of Eonia with all its tech gadgets and all! It was a strange mix at first, with the fantasy universe, but it actually added a lot to the story!
- LGBTQ+ characters 😉 Yes yes yes!
- The alternate POV: we follow Keralie, but also the different Queens. Each one has her own chapters, allowing us to discover their past, their secrets… and their deaths!
- The timeline of the story… not what you could expect!
- It’s a standalone! And that’s too rare in YA fantasy!
Hope this convinced you to give this book a chance! Now I’m going to dive in 😉
See you for a cup,