Hello bookdragons!! A new month is here, and with it, a new Chapters Indigo Teen Staff Pick of the Month. This month, the chosen one is a bit special, as it’s not a new book just coming out, but more to celebrate the conclusion of an incredible trilogy! Because this month, the Staff Picks is Scythe!
Today, I’m gonna share with you 5 good reasons why you should try this incredible series, right before the third and final volume, The Toll, comes out 😉
Staff Pick of the Month?
If you are wondering what this is about, each month, across all the Chapters stores, over 200 employees select a title to be the Staff Pick of the Month, in the Teen section! For the entirety of this month, the book is available for 20$ only (though this month, it is a paperback available for $13!) And each month, I am lucky enough to receive a copy of this SPOTM in order to share my honest opinion about it 🙂
November Teen Pick: Scythe by Neal Shusterman
Thou shalt kill.
A world with no hunger, no disease, no war, no misery. Humanity has conquered all those things, and has even conquered death. Now scythes are the only ones who can end life—and they are commanded to do so, in order to keep the size of the population under control.
Citra and Rowan are chosen to apprentice to a scythe—a role that neither wants. These teens must master the “art” of taking life, knowing that the consequence of failure could mean losing their own.
- We are in the future and Death is no more. Or almost. Death is decided, fixed, no more accident or disease or anything of the sort. That’s such an interesting concept as it is! Add to that the Scythes, the ones keeping us from being too many on Earth by providing Death. And who decides who is to die? An IA! If you are not intrigued, what else do you need??
- We get to follow to Scythe apprentices. To regular teens from the future who are chosen to maybe become a Scythe, a giver of Death. We are in the front row as they slowly give up parts of themselves to become able to kill others, as it will be their job. At least…for one of them! It was just so addicting!
- The writing is so powerful. It makes you dive right into the book. Understand how humanity got there, and how close it could be from its downfall. The change of perspective also allows us to put together pieces of the story and understand more of the internal clockwork keeping this future together.
- It’s unpredictable. As in, be ready for a lot of surprises! Usually, I’m good with plot twists, but here, I was surprised more than once!! And left gawping at what was happening!
- The character development in this book is so good. Citra and Rowen were both incredible to follow as they take different journeys to become Scythes. As they grow and understand more about what is the world they live in. The fact that we get both their point of view really makes us care for them.. and be afraid for them! I also really loved the mentor characters like Scythe Faraday and Scythe Curie, honestly, this book is full of incredible characters, all bringing something to the story, and making you think about what humans with the power to give Death like that could become!
If you haven’t tried this series already, what are you waiting?? GO GO GO! And if you have, let me know what you thought!!
See you for a cup,