House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J Maas
Series: Crescent City #1
Format: Arc provided by Raincoast Books
Top 3 Genres: New Adult, Fantasy, Supernatural investigation
My rating: Set it on fire/If you have nothing else to read/you need to read it/Run and buy it.
To buy the book: CA • US • FR• Bookdep
Add to: Goodreads
So excited today to tell you about the last book I LOVED: House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J Maas! You can say whatever you want about her, I’m always hooked by her books! And HOEAB is no exception. I only have one warning: do not go into that book expecting something else than Sarah J Maas style. She is still herself, improved maybe like a lot of writers through time, but her style is still the same. So, love it or leave it 😉 And now that this is out of the way, I’m gonna share with you 5 good reasons to read it!!!!
Bryce Quinlan had the perfect life—working hard all day and partying all night—until a demon murdered her closest friends, leaving her bereft, wounded, and alone. When the accused is behind bars but the crimes start up again, Bryce finds herself at the heart of the investigation. She’ll do whatever it takes to avenge their deaths.
Hunt Athalar is a notorious Fallen angel, now enslaved to the Archangels he once attempted to overthrow. His brutal skills and incredible strength have been set to one purpose—to assassinate his boss’s enemies, no questions asked. But with a demon wreaking havoc in the city, he’s offered an irresistible deal: help Bryce find the murderer, and his freedom will be within reach.
As Bryce and Hunt dig deep into Crescent City’s underbelly, they discover a dark power that threatens everything and everyone they hold dear, and they find, in each other, a blazing passion—one that could set them both free, if they’d only let it.
5 Good reasons to read House of Earth and Blood
- What a fantasy world! my favorite kind, aka where we can guess that it’s happening on Earth but with magical elements. Here, we are in Midgard, and at some point, a rift was created and magical creatures came from other worlds and became part of ours. Not so great for humans. But lots of sexy people! More seriously, I really liked how Maas mixed different mythologies, magic and technology together here!
- Incredible characters: one of the things I love the most when reading one of SJM books is her characters. They are always sexy-ok- but other than that they always have a broken part you want to help them heal, they are full of sass, and they just feel so passionate and alive. It’s impossible not to care (and maybe daydream a bit) about them. Bryce is no exception. I loved her from the beginning to the end of this book, and the same with Hunt, Danika, Lehabah and my little favorite, Ruhn. More than the characters themselves, it is their relationships I also love, especially in this book, the power and importance of friendship!
- A murderer to catch: I have a passion for supernatural murder mysteries. I just love having an investigation mixed with magical elements (as long as it’s not too thriller-y). And here, I was well served! First the mysterious murder of Bryce’s closest friends, and then, years later, other murders done just with the same MO. All through the book, we try to understand what the hell is happening behind the curtains and it is full of surprises! I was SO HOOKED!
- All the self-depreciation of SJM: she heard what we said about her male Fae characters, about some tropes she tends to use a lot and she plays with it! I love that, when authors pay attention to what we readers say, and have fun with it. An example: alphahole, to talk about all these supernatural males who think falling in love means becoming overprotective and possessive.
- All the FEELS!!! Seriously, I laughed and cried and ended up just wanting more! I think that’s what I love the most about SJM books, that they make me dive into the story so deep, that they make me feel so much and stay with me even after I finished them. HOEAB was exactly that, maybe even more than the ACOTAR series. It was an emotional roller coaster, from the first chapters to the last!
I hope I transmitted well my love for the book there, and that you will pick it up and love it as much as I did! Don’t hesitate to comment if you plan to read it or have done it already!!
See you for a cup,